Search This Blog

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sweet Tooth Problem Solver

Calling Sweet Tooths EVERYWHERE :) 

I spend a lot of energy building up enough will power to turn down the amount of sweets that pass through my office. I mean EVERY day some ambulance or home health company is bringing in some kind of goodie to ensure we continue to use them. Sometimes all I can do is turn around and act like I didn't see the box of fresh sundaes being passed out. :)

So when the time comes that I am actually ready to throughly indulge in my ever ferocious sweet tooth I wanna make sure its A. worth the calories and B. full of all things delicious and in most cases bad for me! Well this afternoon I had one such calling and went rummaging through my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and found the perfect solution. :) 

Toffee Bars 

Ingredients 

1/2 cup Butter, softened
3/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/8 tsp Salt
3/4 cup Semisweet Chocolate Pieces
1/3 cup Walnuts or Pecans, chopped (I used pecans)
1/3 cup Chocolate-Covered Toffee Pieces (I just chopped up bite sized Heath Bars)

Steps

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. For all those who don't have a mixer like me a whisk will work just fine! Then, add brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. Continue beating till all ingredients are mixed together, scraping the sides when needed. Now, beat in flour and salt. 

2. After your dough is nice and mixed, spread it evenly in an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. For all those unsure of the measurements, its the pan used for casserole dishes. :) After dough is spread out, bake for about 15 minutes or until edges begin to brown and surface is dry. I actually had to keep mine in for about 18 minutes, every oven will be a little different. When its ready remove it from the oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate pieces. Let set for about 2 minutes or until chocolate is softened, then spread evenly. Sprinkle with pecans and toffee pieces. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Once the time is up feel free to cut in and start serving! :) 

Now all you need is a NICE BIG GLASS OF MILK! 






No comments:

Post a Comment